Essential oils are viewed as compounds that are exacted from plants. These oils do capture the flavor and the scent of the plant which is also known as its ‘essence’. The exclusive aromatic compounds provide an essential oil its typical essence. You can get these oils through the process of distillation or by mechanical processes, called cold pressing. When the aromatic chemicals get extracted, they get mixed with a carrier oil for developing a product which is ready for use. The processes through which oils are produced are highly important, as an essential oil that is obtained through chemical processes isn’t regarded as a true essential oil.
Many people wonder whether or not an essential oil is good for kids. However, the fact is using an essential oil on young children isn’t always roses and sunshine. Because of the high concentration of these oils, there can occur severe consequences. This is the reason; it is highly important to dilute these oils first. Children tend to be especially sensitive to products and aroma that are applied onto their skin as the immune system of a child takes many years to develop fully, thus, turning them less able for dealing with the serious effects that might arise when a concentrated product is applied on their skin minus dilution.
The safe oils for kids
Some kids oil are safe for children and they are mentioned below:
- Basil linalool – This oil for kids helps in relaxing, mood lifting, and soothes sore muscles.
- Black pepper – This oil is helpful to soothe achy muscles.
- Blue tansy – This oil endorses feelings of being clear-headed at the time when pollen counts tend to be high.
- Cedarwood Virginian – This oil is highly beneficial and relaxing for the kids.
- Catnip – This oil is highly relaxing and it supports restful sleep.
- Chamomile/German – This essential oil is helpful for sleep and it supports clear thinking.
- Cinnamon leaf – This essential oil smells nice when you diffuse it during the holidays. It can have a warming effect when it is being applied to the kids’ skin. But, it can result in irritation when you use too high a concentration.
- Chamomile/Roman – This oil is relaxing, and it is helpful for sleep. It is also helpful for soothing sore muscles.
- Copaiba balsam – This oil does support healthy respiratory functions besides soothing achy muscles.
- Clary sage – It is helpful for restful sleep and relaxation.
- Cypress – It supports healthy respiratory function. Additionally, it can have an emotionally-grounded influence at the time of challenging experiences.
- Coriander – This essential oil soothes tummy upsets and calms emotions.
Some particular oils
According to a study, some calming oils for kids turned out to be really effective in lessening the anxiety and stress of patients. These oils are rosemary, tea tree, and lavender oils. Again, other studies that were conducted on the effectuality of essential oil on anxiety, hyperactivity, and stress showed that aromatherapy turned to be highly effective to kids. One study proved that 6-14-year-old children who were earlier diagnosed as suffering from ADHD and weren’t under medication got treatment by one of the three oils, like lavender, vetiver, and cedarwood oil, and amongst these three oils, Vetiver became the highest effective compared to Cedarwood and Lavender.